The coronavirus has created many challenges for higher education institutions. The decision to offer classes in person, virtual, or a blend requires significant alterations to the current Fall semester/quarter. As institutions make their final decisions on Fall classes, the Registrar’s office and departmental schedulers will be tasked to implement the various class section changes and move existing enrollments.
At Sierra-Cedar, we are always seeking ways to use technology to help our clients succeed. To address this current challenge, we have developed two bolt-on enhancements that use automation to help registrars process the necessary changes. Sierra-Cedar is offering these enhancements free of charge to institutions running PeopleSoft Campus Solutions v9.2, PeopleTools 8.57 or 8.56.
Class Maintenance Enhancement
- Allows institutions to pick a class section, change key attributes of the section, and clone it numerous times.
- The intent is to allow a quick and easy way for class sections to be created and specific attributes to be updated.
- Room scheduling is not addressed. Institutions would continue to schedule rooms as they currently do.
Moving Enrollments Enhancement
- Allows institutions to quickly spread enrollments from a selected class section into one or more additional class sections.
- Students who are moved will have their enrollment “swapped” into an available section.
- Students who are moved can receive communication, informing them that one or more scheduling change has occurred.
- Time conflicts may result, but the enhancement will attempt to resolve a time conflict by considering other available sections.
While the above enhancements will not solve 100% of all class schedule and student enrollment challenges, Sierra-Cedar sincerely hopes these enhancements will help institutions to address their scheduling challenges in a more timely fashion.